The Temple of the Four Winds was designed by Vanbrugh in 1724 and was influenced by Andrea Palladio’s Villa Rotonda in Vicenza, Italy.
The design was sent to the Earl of Carlisle as an idea for a pavilion to be built in the Southeast corner of Ray Wood on the Castle Howard Estate.
Originally named ‘The Temple of Diana’; it remained unfinished for another ten years after Vanbrugh’s death in 1726. By the 1940s the Temple was beginning to deteriorate.
George Howard restored it in 1955 after the Second World War.
Temple of the Four Winds, Castle Howard
(H)41 x (W)49 x (D)49 cm