St Brides Church has always held an association with newspapers; often referred to as ‘The Church of the Journalists’. It is close to the site where the first printing presses were run in the 15th century.
The Church was one of the first to be replaced after the earlier church was burnt to the ground in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was heavily damaged during the 1940 London Blitz and has gone through extensive restoration.
Prior to the Church’s current incarnation, two earlier churches stood on this site, the earliest was of Roman origin. Sir Christopher Wren designed this renaissance church in his English Baroque style.
It is the second tallest of Wren’s churches after St Paul’s. In the 18th century a local baker, inspired by the multi-tiered steeple of St. Brides was the first to create the tiered wedding cake we recognise today.
St. Brides of Fleet Street
8.25″ x 23″ x 4.25″