The theatre only became known as The Royal Opera House in 1892.
The original theatre (Theatre Royal) was designed by Edward Shepherd, and was built with funds raised by the enormous success of the Beggar s Opera by John Gay.
It was opened in 1732 but sadly the theatre was destroyed by fire in 1808. The second Theatre Royal was built and opened in September 1809, but it was to last a mere 47 years as once again fire destroyed the theatre in March 1856.
The Royal Opera House model is made of plaster with detail in etched brass, lead and beautiful hand-made rose coloured glass.
Royal Opera House, Covent Garden
12″ x 4″ x 9″