The new coupé featured smooth, rounded edges, as well as sitting only 1,270mm high.
The 300SL was unveiled to the press in March of 1952 at the Autobahn A81. This newly developed racing coupé marked Mercedes-Benz return to motorsport racing.
Featuring an unusual entry through a gull-wing door this streamlined sports car immediately cast a spell on the racing enthusiasts.
After a successful debut at the Mille Miglia, the 300SL moved on to the renewed competition of sports car racing at the Grand Prix of Bern on May 18th, 1952.
Three officially registered 300SL’s were decked out in uncommonly colourful finishes - dark red (Rudolf Caracciola, #16), green (Karl Kling, #18), and blue (Hermann Lang, #20),