Earl Beatty Showmans loco
Supplied to Anderton & Rowland, the well-known West Country showmen, on 13th May 1921 at a cost of £3500. The engine was given a Plymouth registration and named by the firm's manager of the day, Mr.George De Vey Snr, as Earl Beatty. This was possibly to pair with the firms other showmans engine which carried a name with nautical connections, Lord Nelson. On completion at the Burrell works in Thetford the engine was steamed direct to Messrs Orton & Spooner at Burton-On-Trent, Staffs and was set to test run the new Scenic Railway that the firm had just purchased.
On the 23rd July Earl Beatty left Burton On Trent at 4pm hauling several loads and arrived at Newton Abbott, Devon at 8pm on 27th July after a journey of 240 miles. The remainder of the loads were sent direct by rail. Earl Beatty with Lord Nelson were set tow ork the following day to erect and operate the scenic railway, known as 'The Golden Dragons'.
The Anderton & Rowland grand organ from this ride still entertains today.
This beautiful static model is made to 1:24 scale